Sunday, December 27, 2009

Duck, Duck, Lamb?



The duck breast was a gift. In fact, it was my favorite kind of gift, both absurd and thoroughly appreciated. It was absurd, because raw meat is rarely given to unrelated adults. It was thoroughly appreciated, because it was a gorgeous Liberty Farms breast. I cross-hatched the skin to help render the fat and put it on a cast iron pan over the lowest flame. As you can see on the left, the duck is generously releasing some extra fat while the meat is completely raw. This really helps to get the skin crisper.
Salade verte avec magret de canard

And then there was lamb... I came across an extra leg at Prather. It had been my plan to see what was left and grab it. With luck, it worked to perfection. The fates decided for me. 
I decided to debone it and we will have it tonight along with some braised shanks and a red wine reduction.
This was one of my favorite gifts this year. A client gave me the chocolates I love most. I tore open the box vaguely concerned that it might be See's, only to reveal that familiar brown of the Gandolf's box.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Caroline said...

uh, hello, delicious!

I have never had such carnage in my kitchen; the duck, yes, the leg of lamb, boned, butterflied, ready for deliciousness? Never.

Here's to new ambitions!

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home